Sunday, December 9, 2007

Banksy



For the past year or so I've been noticing more street art than usual around L.A. I was curious but tried to put it in the back of my mind. However I've finally figured out some of it's the work of Banksy, an English street artist who hit LA sometime in early 2006. The messages of his stencils are usually anti-war, anti-capitalist, anti-establishment or pro- freedom; while many of his usual subjects include rats, policemen, children, and soldiers. On wikipedia I found out that "In May 2005 Banksy's version of a primitive cave painting depicting a human figure hunting wildlife whilst pushing a shopping trolley was found hanging in the British Museum, London. Upon discovery, the museum added it to their permanent collection" ,which i pretty awesome if you ask me. Needless to say thanks to the books by Kirsten Miller I have a new found appreciation for street art.

some videos with more information:




No comments: