Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mark Ryden



I'm sure many of you know about this artist by now as he recently held an exhibit at the Pasadena Museum of California Art (and the flyers were hung just about everywhere in L.A), however, i couldn't resist. His exhibit was called Wondertoonel and you can find many of his paintings there. The rest can be found at his website www.markryden.com.

Many of his paintings are reminiscent of Heironymous Bosch and Sir John Tenniel. As one critic put it "His works recall a parallel universe of 1950s Golden Books and the whimsy of Lewis Carroll".

I also found it interesting that as a wedding gift he even presented Jessicka and Christian Hejnal of Scarling with a miniature portrait of the couple that was a faithful adaptation of Jan Van Eyck's "Arnolfini Portrait" which was later reproduced on the invitations, and that his work appears in the Christina Ricci film Penelope.

7 comments:

liltomboyblue11;) said...

wow. you see lot's of patterns trough out his paintings. he's very talented.

Zodiac girls said...

That is wicked sweet! I love art! Even though I'm the only in my group who can draw on a college degree! And we and BR are wondering want to be on our blog list?
May :)

Poison said...

Sure!

Zodiac girls said...

Can you give me the web adress? Sorry came from kiki strike and it doesn't tell me the web adress!

Poison said...

you mean www.sweetarsenic.blogspot.com ?

Anonymous said...

YUP!!!! Thanks! (to lazy and tired to sighn in!)

Whitney Josephine said...

This fellow is just amazing! I feel like a lot of pop/kitsch artists take inspiration from him, but can never quite measure up.

It's funny, I just re-watched Penelope today, and I only wished I'd seen this post beforehand, so I could've looked for the Ryden paintings!